Saturday, August 14, 2010

Our trip to Neuschwanstein Castle



Yesterday we spent the day visiting the Schloss Neuschwanstein in Bavaria. This is one of the castles that the Cindarella's Castle at Disneyland was patterned after. It was built by Ludwig II. We took a guided tour and it was lots of fun. I had Grant in a carrier on my back due to ~188 steps we went up while in the castle. The children did really well on the entire trip. On the way home we stopped to get gas with our Military gas card ( you can only use in Germany) and realized we were in Austria. We got a good laugh.... not many times in life do you not know what country you are in! Oh, the pictures are a little out of order, but I will work to fix them on another day.
This is a picture Alan took from a bridge not too far away.

Cooper having fun on the bridge. There was a waterfall and running water under the bridge.

It began to rain on our way out and so glad we had an umbrella!


O.k. so I'm not going to get skinny living here. This is the world's largest pretzel. I LOVE the pretzels here. Alan, joked that we almost made it out without buying anything, and then I had to have the pretzel. Hadley and I are the snackers in our little family.
View of the Schloss Hohenschwangau from a window in the castle.

View of the bridge from the castle. This is the bridge we were on in early pictures.

A view from inside one of the courtyards.
Just outside the entrance to the castle.

Entrance to the castle.
Outside view of the castle before entrance

We took a horse and buggy to up to the castle. The children thought it was really fun!!
Once you get up to the castle it is still a little jaunt straight uphill. Cooper was such a trooper, he didn't want any help at all going up. People walking by were really impressed.

A view of the children in the van when we arrived. We left really early that morning and just left Grant in his pajamas until we arrived. He is sooo cute!!
This is out of context but this is my first batch of homemade bread since arriving. Only 3 loaves will fit in our oven. The children had 1/2 loaf eaten before the day was out.

5 comments:

Kimball and Marianne Larsen said...

Seriously?! That is incredible. Put that on our list of things to do when we come... :) I'm glad your kids tolerated it so well. And--Sounds like with the amount of touring, walking and stair climbing you're doing, you can eat all the pretzels you want!

Maureen said...

That looks like you had a great trip! I miss you and your kiddos SO much!! I make your bread every week and always think you my friend!

Liesl said...

Love the pictures!! Give the little ones a hug for me! Can't wait to talk soon!:)

Liesl

Lamont and Melissa Larsen said...

This is actually one of the castles that I have always wanted to see. Is it in Germany or Austria? It was good to see you guys on skype the other day - we'll have to do it again soon.

Gabriel and Amber Spencer said...

I think the picture of eating dinner on the paper towels is the best picture I've ever seen. It's cute- but in my mind I was thinking how you, as the mom, have to really manage things until you figure out how to speak German, get your things from America, no car, no air three little kids. Wowzers. You're doing great, Bonnie! What a transition to the funnest adventure of your life!